Saturday, January 26, 2013

God bless Murphy!

Something was making me uneasy. What was it? A dream? A nightmare? No. It was a sound. You know those tones that penetrate through your ear canal to reach your tympanic membrane and you end up thinking, "Oh crap! I am late."?

As soon as the dopey and drowsy me got up to dismiss the alarm I realised that it was not my thingamabob that was slugging my eardrums with the vocal pellets. I still had a sixtieth of the hour for few z's.

The hunt for the source of the nonharmonious sounds was on. I had to, at any cost, find the pitiless and destroy it. Just then the door buzzer rang. I got up to check. I found the newspaper lying on the door mat. Nobody in our house read these newspaper. These were instead used for cleaning when Lina , Mom's mouser, pooped all over the place.

I dropped the gazzette on the table amd went into the kitchen to look for something to eat. I realised that the day, with Mom out of the station, was going to be tough.

"Yuvi, be responsible. Lock the door. Take good care of your brother. Don't leave him alone. Don't fight with him.", Mom had listed many such things-to-do on a paper and left it by the fridge. "I never do, Mom. That boy seldom talks.", I protested.

The problem with my brother, Jai, was that he didn't talk at all.  Technically, I was to spend the day with my brother but Practically and substantially I was alone. It was like being alone in a room with five walls- One of which moved, ate things, played games, read books.

"Jai, Back from school?" "Hmmm."

"Jai, is Mom home?" "Hmmm."

"Jai, Are you even listening?" "Hmmm."

I had to wake that brat up and prepare breakfast for him.

"Jai. Dude. Wake up.", I tried to pull him out of his drowsiness. I knew this was going to be tough. "Hmmm", he replied. Tougher. "Jai. Wake up, man.", I tried again. He didn't even humm this time. That boy never took me seriously.

"Jai. Get up in half an hour or no meal for you.", I meant it by all my heart. I hated cooking. There is nothing to like but to hate is the dirty apron, the smell coming from all over your body. You smell like you have just been pressure cooked in ginger-garlic water. It was decided. I was going to spend all my savings and order food from the cheapest restaurant in town.

Thanks to the short lived beguin I developed for our first maid when I was 11, I knew how to fry eggs. I would notice her all day amd follow her everywhere.

Breakfast : check.
Lunch : What to do?

Thing was that I wish I did but I never saved any money. Circumstances were pushing me into the tarn of garlic. I had to cook something. I got into the kitchen and opened the drawer. Tater was staring at me with its multiple eyes. Oh I hate you, murphy. Shall I make tossed salad? Or chips? Or...  Umm.. argggghh I was hating my life right now. So, at last, Waldorf salad I made which nobody ate. Because potatoes were uncooked. But I tried.

I was pretty much sure that Jai won't let me cook anything now. I could do without dinner and so could he, at least after having the salad I made.

As soon as the it was the time for din-din, Jai took out the phone book, looked for some number and dialed. The shrimp ordered a pizza on phone. Who did he think would pay for it? His brother? Not at all.

I sat on the sofa and looked at him from behind the newspaper so that he doesn't notice. He ended the call and moved to his attire, took out his treasure chest which I always believed to be full of disfigured dolls, dismantled superheroes and trinkets. He took out a case and took out something- RICHES. This midget saved money!

Pizza came, he paid, we ate. He was sent to a very good school in town. They taught him good things like sharing food and toys. I never went to one of those school. I feel bad for him. Time to hit the sack. But before that I need to note down some importany things on my diary.

1. Stalking , people in general and housemaids in particular, is good.
2. Save money.
3. Cook potatoes well.
4. Newspapers are useful, after all.
5. There is a lot of treasure in Jai's almirah.
6. When needful, try calling Jai. He talks on phone.

I was so proud of myself. I felt like President of America. I pulled up the quilt. Two more days before mom comes back. I knew we would survive. Jai had enough money to afford six more meals. I patted myself on head and ZzzZzzZ..

No comments:

Post a Comment